Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Antique Inspired

Lately, I've been posting about things that inspire me. If there is one thing that "enlightens or enthuses" me, it is antique furniture. Antique shopping is most definitely one of my favorite hobbies. I love strolling through the old malls filled with random stuff. There is something about the "hunt" that makes antique shopping so enthralling.

Since I've been decorating my own place, I've found incredible inspiration from old pieces of furniture. It actually all started about 4 years ago. B and I were in Ohio for his grandfather's memorial service. A few days after the services, his family had a large estate auction of all of his grandparent's personal items...furniture, dishes, bedding, jewelry...even their car. While we were at the auction, I noticed this beautiful cedar trunk. It had such great lines...it also had casters and nail head trim. I fell in love with this piece. We ended up bringing the trunk home with no real purpose in mind. Come to find out...this trunk has been in the Mallett Family for many generations....what a special heirloom we have now! 

When B and I got married, the trunk was sitting in the garage, being used as storage for a bunch of junk. I realized one day, that with a little paint touch up, the trunk would make a pretty coffee table...well, that was all she wrote...it's been our coffee table ever since then.

Grandpa's old cedar trunk (this thing has been white, brown, turquoise, green, pink and now white again)

That one piece truly drove my entire vision of decorating for the remainder of our past home and now our current home. I love the vintage feel of old furniture. It never "gets old" (no pun intended). Its character is perfect for our 1936 home.

 Here are some other pieces I've collected along the way... 

Living room chest with original casters and pulls. 

entryway secretary

Kitchen Table redo (see post)

Mini Cabinet in my kitchen


This antique bookcase was originally a walnut brown. 

To me, there is something uniquely special about finding antique furniture to be used around the house...to think about the story that goes along with the furniture...the family that used to use it...what their home was like...It's truly inspiring.


                                                                              ~ G
 Do you have something that drives your decorating or style? I'd love to hear about it...Feel free to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment