Thursday, December 6, 2012

Taziki's Friday Special

In honor of "Throwback Thursday" and just good ol' fashioned cooking, I have to share one of my favorite meals EVERRRR!!! I spent my college years in Birmingham, Alabama. Taziki's is one of the most popular restaurants in town. They are known for their awesome Greek food. On Friday's, they have a special that includes pasta & chicken over a bed of lettuce and a side of pita (sounds kind of bland, I know, but it's sooo yummmy!!!). I (along with the other half of Samford and Birmingham residents) enjoyed most Fridays at Tazikis.

Since I've moved back to Jacksonville, I have soo desperately missed Friday Special. Each time I go back to Birmingham, I have to make my trip to get my "fix". So when I found a copycat recipe, "literally, I died" (some of you may get that inside joke)  :))) I've adapted a recipe over time to make it exactly as I like it, but I can promise you you'll love it!!

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon thyme (I really don't love the flavor or thyme, so I use very little)
1 shallot, minced
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar
1.5 cups olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp sugar
Salt and Pepper
2 head of romaine lettuce
1 box of penne pasta
6 chicken tenderloins (~1 lb)
feta cheese
Roma tomatoes
fresh basil

Directions:

Marinade chicken in a touch of olive oil, salt and pepper.
After chicken marinades for a few minutes, grill chicken for about 8 minutes.
Bring water to boil and cook pasta until al dente.
Cut, waste and spin lettuce

For vinaigrette:
Mix thyme, shallot, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, sugar, Dijon mustard, salt & pepper & olive oil together in a small bowl.

After pasta is cooked and drained add chopped chicken to the pasta. Toss with vinaigrette. Plate a bed of lettuce and place pasta on top of lettuce. Pasta is topped with feta cheese, diced tomato and fresh basil.  

I  promise you will love this recipe! Give it a try and let me know what you think!!
                                                                                          ~ G

3 comments:

  1. I always have to get my fix of Surin and O'Carrs and Olexas. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried that copy-cat recipe of O'Carr's chicken salad? I want to try it soon!!

      Delete
  2. some of you may get this inside joke.... ME!!!! hehe LITERALLY, I DIED!!!! can you make me some of that Friday special?!?

    ReplyDelete