Friday, December 21, 2012

christmas decor

This is our first Christmas in our new house!!! So far, it has been wonderful! I love having a nice, cozy fireplace, a pretty mantle and a place that truly feels like "home" to decorate for the holidays. Growing up, my mom was the queen of Christmas decorating. Now it wasn't tacky christmas, it was the MOST elegant Christmas decor you could imagine...luscious garlands wrapped around staircases, a massive tree in the middle of the house and every inch in between was "done to a tee". 

This year, I wanted to create a very cozy, yet elegant feel for Christmas. I got a little lazy though and didn't get nearly has much completed as I had hoped for. Next year, I'll add more, but I think it's a good start. 

I love natural colors and textures, like burlap, jute, & linen. So the "theme" for our house was a very natural Christmas. I used lots of natural fabrics and elements like pinecones, berries, and sticks. 

                                         
I was soooooooo excited to have a mantle to decorate this year and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I found 12' long garland at Bed, Bath & Beyond believe it or not. It's very thick and hardy. I added strips of burlap fabric that I had around the house and picked up some pine cones from our yard to add too. It is amazing how much the green garland makes our white fireplace "pop". The other elements, including the blue and white urns, candle sticks and basket are there year round. I'll more elements once the garland comes down after Christmas. 
Mark Robert's "Sweetness" Fairy
Mark Robert's "Light the Night" Fairy
Some people ( my sisters) hate these little guys...but I happen to LOVE them!! They add so much character to the house this time of year. I love to hang them from chandeliers and pendant lights. I also have a miniature santa ornament that hangs on my tree.   




















 I'm kind of sad at how this picture turned out...it was really difficult to get the lighting right because of the sun coming through the back doors. We bought a real tree this year about 7 feet tall. It's adorned with 800 lights and could use about 300 more. I like when I tree looks full with lights :). The bow is made of Jute Ribbon and Gold Mesh Garland. I originally planned to just use Jute, but it absorbed too much of the lights and I like that "sparkle" effect on my tree, so I over lapped them.  I also added some sticks and gold bunches throughout the tree. The majority of my house is monochromatic and my tree is not much different, so I added a few red Poinsettia flowers to add a little color. They tuck into the tree so nicely! 
 My dining room is in the midst of transition, as I'm refinishing a new table (post coming soon). However, this room always feels so elegant to me! It was actually one of my favorite rooms in the house when we were looking to buy it. I love this chandelier. It's perfectly rustic enough, but still somewhat trendy. I bought these little chandelier rings at Design Additions in Avondale (one of my very favorite home decor stores). They add a lot of charm to the chandelier and my little fairy doesn't hurt :) Again, I used a simple glass jar filled with sticks as a centerpiece to keep the natural theme continuing. 

I usually burn Frasier Fir at my house, but this year, I tried Trapp Candles and they are delightful and they burn slower than Thyme candles. 
Small berry garland adds touches of Christmas to my bookshelf decor
Cabinet in the kitchen decorated with pinecones, berries and topiaries. 

I definitely did not plan to do a RED wreath, but I made it and it stayed :) ha! Next year, I'll make the wreath that I intended on making!!  

 I love this time of year and I KNOW I will be depressed come January 1st when all the Christmas decorations come down. I always feel like everything is so complete ....can we just leave it decorated for Christmas year 'round? 

                                                                                    Merry Christmas! 
                                                                                                ~G


1 comment:

  1. your Christmas decorations are beautiful! I wish I could move in with the Registers =)))

    ReplyDelete