Monday, August 19, 2013

Back to School

Whewwwww...that's the sound of my deep breath as I finally relax after the first day of school. It is exhausting trying to stay organized amongst all the chaos...but in the end, it was exciting to meet so many new faces.

Today marked the beginning of my third year teaching...each year brings new experiences, new challenges and new triumphs; however, sometimes, it is really hard to 'see the forest through the trees' when you feel so out of it...today was one of those days. I was SO anxious! My mind was running 100 miles/minute and I never felt like I "got into the groove".

Today began many changes at our school and some of them really take getting used too. One major changes is the use of "block" scheduling. I have my students for double the amount of time, but only see them every other day. I'm exciting for this once we start labs and in depth content, but today was well...just different.
Fortunately, I know exactly where I need to change the way I plan and think about my classes.....and eventually, I know it will click.

On a positive note, I LOVE meeting new students!!! It is probably one of my favorite things as a teacher! Some students put their best foot forward, are eager and anxious! Other students like to show that they need to be heard and like that special attention. I personally feel like you can tell so much about students by their first impression. This year, I am going to have some many different stories than in years past, as I teach gifted/accelerated students...but I can promise you one thing...they will not lack excitement.

Regardless of all the chaos and anxiety, I am so thrilled to work with students! I know that I am supposed to be teaching...and middle school is just icing on the cake. I hope and pray that God uses me in a special way this year and that I can make a difference in a few of my students' lives!

                                                                       Happy Teaching!
                                                                               ~ G

No comments:

Post a Comment